Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Our beloved pets

A blogger that I frequent (Sonya) is mourning the death of her precious dog Cia http://sonyasthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/03/tell-me-you-didnt-say-goodbye.html. I have never met her or her dog, but I am still very sad about it. It made me think of all the animals that have come and gone from my life and how very important they are/were. I believe our pets are family members, just as important as the humans. They all have their individual unique personalities, just as we do. Sonya wrote more eloquently about it than I could ever hope to (since I am not much of a writer). I wish that I could find a way to express in words how I feel about my animals like she did about Cia. My heart goes out to her for this terrible loss.

For all but one (so far) of my animals, I have not been present at the moment of their death. Either the animals died alone outside (our dogs Skipper and Sandy) or my parents were with them when they were euthanized (dog Sheba, and cats Sweet-Pea, Tappy, and Bart). It was a wrenching experience for them, very sad and I am sure they are still in mourning. Maybe not as intense as when it first happened, but mourning in their way none-the-less. I dread the day that I have to say good-bye to the animals I have now. Ladybug, my cat, is getting up in years and starting to have medical problems. Treif is an old dog (I adopted him just this past May); I never even knew him when he was a puppy and a young dog. So I will not have many years with him. Ladybug was also older when I adopted her and I will not have as many years with her either. I hope that I can be strong when the day comes that I must say good-bye. And I desperately hope that I will see all my animals again someday.

"Heaven - all the animals that ever loved you will be waiting at the gate!". If they are not there, then I don't want to go!!

2 comments:

Sonya said...

Thank you for wonderful comments. This has truly been a sad week for me. Most people can't possibly imagine loving an animal as much as some of us do...but I feel for them. They miss out on an unconditional love that brightens our day, everyday. I have loved many animals from my past, but none have meant as much to me as Cia. She was truly unique. In the beginning, I loved her because she made me laugh. From the first day I got her, she became my life. I took her everywhere and never considered leaving her in a place she wouldn't be happy. Then we completely moved and she became my comfort zone. We both adjusted fine to our new life and she became the life in my parents house. Losing her has left a sadness that I can't seem to get rid of. It is truly like losing a child and things will never be the same. So, thank you for your comments...it has made me smile.

I am happy to hear you have adopted an older dog. I am sorry you don't have the past years to reflect upon, but the truth is, these years are more important. You are there when the others were not. I can think of nothing sadder than having someone take an animal and then giving it up near the end of its life. I am happy for the dog that now has a wonderful home. And just because I know the void that will be left when one your cats passes on....I hope it will not be for a very long time.

Pam said...

Your words express exactly how I feel. I get all teary-eyed just thinking of when my pets will be gone, so I cherish every moment I have with them now. I cannot imagine who would have given up this dog - he is just wonderful. I am happy that I can be there for him in his old age and I try my best to make sure he is happy!

If you ever need to talk (talking about stuff always makes me feel better), I will be here in "cyberspace" for you! Just email me! auntpama at gmail dot com!