Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Helping an Old Dog



We have had our dog Treif since May. He has so many problems! The latest is a staph skin infection and I have to give him 1/2 a Baytril pill every day. It is not easy. He won't let me push it down his throat so I have to keep coming up with ways for him to take it willingly. I put the pill in hamburger, cheese, sausage, and I used to use peanut butter, but I am thinking he might be allergic to that (which caused him to get a skin infection in the first place).

He also has episodes like alzheimer's and sometimes will pee on the floor before I have a chance to get him outside. I can literally be putting on my coat and reaching down to put his leash on, and he will start to pee.

But God I love him. I can't believe how much. He is so cute!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pam,

Consider using tea tree oil on his infection. Also, pure coconut oil is wonderful and soothing. Sam, the dog I wrote about, would roll in the avacados that fell to the ground at the house we lived in when he got a skin rash.

Dina Kerik

Pam said...

Dina, where would I find tea tree oil or coconut oil?

His skin is actually improved greatly in the past week. I am going to give him another bath tonight with some antibacterial shampoo.

Pam