Sunday, January 14, 2007

Food Ponderings...


This is some sushi at Monaghan's Fish Market in Ann Arbor, Michigan, that my husband ate for lunch one day while we were visiting.

YUCK!!! I had a bottle of pop and a bag of potato chips instead.

My husband and I have wildly different food preferences. He likes more sophisticated food, and my preferences are more child-like. For example, mac and cheese, any kind of junk food like french fries, and lots of sweet stuff like ice cream and especially chocolate! I can't go a day without it. Whereas my husband likes wine, beer, martini's etc., I like root beer, kool-aid, juice, etc. I don't think my food tastes ever grew up, and I most probably never grew up either.

My husband likes watching the Food Network, and also shows like "Top Chef". He appreciates the chef's skill and sometimes makes comments about how good the food looks that they make. But I am not the slightest bit interested (unless it's a gooey chocolate dessert or something). Things like sushi, fish, and any other kind of seafood are completely unappetizing to me. But he loves it! It has to be kosher, though, or he won't eat it.

How do we cope with such differences? We just sometimes make separate dinners! Or if we go out to a seafood restaurant, I can get by with breaded fish and chips or something. The less it looks and tastes like a fish, the better. My husband eats whole fish, even the head! I think that is so unusual, but apparently I am the one that is in the minority, since probably more than half the world eats fish that way. I guess I just grew up sheltered in that respect. Family dinners only ever consisted of hot dogs, goulash, tuna noodle casserole, spaghetti, and sometimes pot roast on the weekends. Maybe it was because my mother worked and was too tired to try anything new or more complicated. Then, sometime during my teens she decided not to cook anymore, and from then on she and my father went to Big Boy's EVERY NIGHT for dinner. They either brought me and my siblings take-0ut from there, or we would make something simple like spaghetti ourselves. From there I never developed a taste for sophistication.

No comments: