Thursday, July 03, 2008

Creepy eHarmony commercial

Every time I see this commercial it really creeps me out. There is a man talking about how he met his wife, Anne Marie. When I first saw him, I thought he looked like a serial killer. He speaks of how she helps keep him calm (or something like that). Then, towards the end of the commercial, he says "as long as I have her...." - as if to say, "if she leaves me, I will kill myself, or kill others or blow up something, etc. etc."

The whole commercial insinuates that you need someone in order to be happy, which I think is dangerous. Sure, it's nice to have a partner, but what about people who are single? Do they need to go on eHarmony because their life is somehow lacking just because they don't have someone?

I have always thought that if you rely on others to make you happy, you will have a hard time in life. The only person that can make you truly happy is YOU.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'd love to get your feedback! We recently started a Dating Reviews Forum and would be interested in hearing about your experiences. Please feel free to share your opinions about eHarmony.com or any online dating service you are using - or may have used in the past. Hopefully, your feedback will help others navigate through the endless array of online dating services and help them avoid mistakes when it comes to online dating.

Anonymous said...

thats hilarious. i was just telling someone how creepy this E-Harmony ad was. I did a search to see if there was anyone else out there who thought so. I noticed they edited the commercial. The first time i saw it, the guy says,"If I didn't have her, I don't know what i'd do".
He's all jittery and just creepy looking.

Pam said...

It's good to know someone else thinks so! I hope they get rid of that commercial soon. (I have already seen some new ones, thank goodness).

Anonymous said...

yes that commercial is creepy.

But it's also nice to see there ARE people out there who feel that having a significant other is NICE but can also be HAPPY by themselves.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I don't think I've seen that one. I always remember the ads for another service (forget which one) where people are "rejected" including the lady with lots of cats. I guess I'm a lost cause.

Unknown said...

Omg, I just saw that commercial with my mom, the edited one, he doesn't say "I don't know what I would do without her", and I told my mom, that guy freaks me right out, like bad vibes...and my mom says, "Yes! He's not right." I decided to search and see if anyone agreed too!

Mother daughter bonding over what appears to be just woman's intuition.

Good luck anne marie.

Toaster said...

For another take on eHarmony, check out Pointless Planet:
http://www.pointlessplanet.com/2009/10/eharmony-be-yourself.html