Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Things that are deeply troubling me

1) I am worried about our future.  How will anyone be able to afford anything or even be able to get to work with the high gas/food prices?  

2) What if the draft gets re-instituted and my nephews and step-son have to go to war?

3) My dog can't walk and I have been trying to find a wheelchair that he will use, but he hates all of them.  I hate seeing him struggle to get up, and he must be so stressed that he can't do what he wants to do.

4) My sister was laid-off over a year ago and has been struggling to get free-lance work, but it doesn't sound too likely that she will be able to keep her house.

5) Rudeness of people. I am shocked at how rude and thoughtless people can be.  It makes me just want to stay in my house with my animals where it is safe from other people.  Which leads me to my next worry...

6) I worry that someone will violate me, by either breaking into my house or attacking me.  I don't worry about it constantly but it is always in the back of my mind.

and last but not least:

7) I am deeply troubled over how I am not convinced that there is more to this life than the life here on earth.  I just don't see how it is possible to "live on" after death.  I read about people who are absolutely convinced that they will see their dead loved ones someday, and I wish I could be that sure myself.  But I never experience anything that I would consider hard-core proof.  And I hear and read about people (i.e., James Randi) that gleefully state they think people who believe in that stuff are nut jobs.  How could he be that way?  Is he happy that when he dies, there is nothing; he just no longer exists???

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jeez girlfriend!
What you're worried about seems to be in the water. I had a panic attack yesterday morning about 1, 2 and 5.
Stock up on food: Canned stuff, non-perishables. It's a good investment as inflation continues to climb. Grow a little garden or a few pots of tomatos. The connection with the earth will help ground you, literally and the veggies you raise won't have Dupont stamped on them.
Practice seeing yourself safe: Don't allow yourself to adopt the subtle 'victim behavior'. I'm not saying to be foolhardy and leave your doors and windows unloacked, but maybe having a taser, some onion spray, or a baseball bat would act as a binky security. And I'm not making light of your fears, our culture being what it is today.
As for death and dying: I KNOW that there is something afterward. Whether we cross over to another plane of space as in the Bent Space theory, we really go to an afterlife or just hang out as a shade in our old house, to me is irrelevant. When you're dead, if there's nothing after, then you won't be aware as your senses, nerves, cognitive powers are just as dead as you are. It won't matter. But I'm a firm believer in Nature as the ultimate recycler. Nothing ever goes to waste in the universe. Not an atom or particle of dust is tossed away. Everything is in a constant state of flux and change.
Did I send you the first Survival 101? If so, I'm hoping that I wasn't the cause of your angst. The next one is on food and food storage.

Be well,
BTHs
Dina

Unknown said...

And PS- The amazing Randi is a simpleton. If you've ever really listen to his arguments, they're vacuous and non-logical. My hope is that when he passes, he's met with every ghost, alien, sea creature and Sasquatch that can be amassed. And I hope they're all carrying salt shakers.

Pam said...

No, your Survival 101 is not the cause of my angst. I have always been this way. What has really set me off is the death of my cat Ladybug. My brain cannot grasp the idea that she was here, and now she just isn't. How can she just not exist? How could her essence just be snuffed out? As I go about my daily activities, I look at places she would sit and wait for me, or how she would walk along the floor looking up at me (wondering if it was ok to jump up on my lap) but now there is nothing. Where is she?

My grandparents died many years ago, and although I was not close to them, I still think about them and wonder how they are doing. But it sounds ridiculous, how could they be "doing" anything if they're dead? Oh, my head hurts. Maybe I should just take more Zoloft. :-)

Jack Steiner said...

I try not to make myself crazy worrying about questions that I cannot answer and things that I cannot control.

But it is not always easy.