Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Tunisian stitch shawl


I bought these really cool Easy Tunisian Cable Hooks on ebay a few months ago. They are sizes M, N, and P which are large hooks that you don't see very often with cable hooks.


When I received the package I took out one of the hooks, and it immediately broke! The end of the hook, where the cable connects, just snapped. Later, when I was using one of the other hooks, it too snapped, in the same place. I emailed the woman who sold it to me, and she gave me a discount. She looked into it and found out that the company (Annie's Attic) had discontinued the item (perhaps because of design flaws??).


So I bought some Duck Tape (yes, Duck Tape, not Duct Tape) and taped the cable back to the hook, and was able to make one of the patterns that came in the package. The Duck Tape surface is smooth and didn't "catch" any of the yarn as it glided over the hook, so there were no problems with the yarn getting caught or frayed.

6 comments:

Laurah said...

That's too bad about the hooks! The shawl looks beautiful though. Tunisian is really fun, but I don't make many projects with it because I don't have a lot of those hooks.
Ever hear this quote? "Duct tape is like the force: it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the world together."

Pam said...

No, never heard that quote - but I like it!

I love Tunisian crochet, but I think it's hard to find those kinds of hooks. My local Joann's only sells one kind and size.

Unknown said...

Can we see a picture of the shawl progress? I'd LOVE to post it on Deepwater Journal with your permission!

Pam said...

queenlint1 - I never took pictures of the shawl while making it, but if you'd like, I can start another one for that purpose. I just won't finish it (it will be for pictures only)

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Let me know when I can post you on Deepwater! The shawl is absolutely gorgeous, Pam! Your work is marvelous. I'm afraid I've lost the calm needed to finish an entire project such as this beautiful work.

Don't you just love shawls? There's something so antiquarian about them, and a safety about them, too. I collected them for many years and then passed along me faves to my darling niece.