Sunday, March 09, 2008

Black Elk quote

I was reading a book called "Goodbye, Friend" by Gary Kowalski (about losing a pet) and saw this quote:

"We should understand well that all things are the work of the Great Spirit. We should know the Great Spirit is within all things: the trees, the grasses, the rivers, the mountains, and the four-legged and winged peoples; and even more important, we should understand that the Great Spirit is also above all these things and peoples. When we do understand all this deeply in our hearts, then we will fear, and love, and know the Great Spirit, and then we will be and act and live as the Spirit intends" - Black Elk

More information on Black Elk is here.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Pam, This is some of what I thought about as I buried Skitty. Knowing that he returns to the Earth, nourishes the trees he's under and loved as his body decays, and knowing that no molecule is wasted in Nature gives me hope. You are truly a spiritual soul and one of 'mine'.

Dina

Pam said...

Yes, wasn't that quote comforting? My Ladybug is being buried here: http://www.petrestinc.com/
and will be helping the flowers bloom and grass grow.

Unknown said...

This place is gorgeous! And a fitting backdrop for our lives with them. I swore I'd never take on another pet soul, but guess what someone dumped out in front of my house in November? A Himalayan male cat. He's beautiful, talkative, loving and is scared to death of anyone but me - even after I took him to the vet for a neuter and his shots! I named him 'Loverboy' of course. Life and love goes on.

Pam said...

Yes, life does go on. I do hope that someday I will want to get another cat, but right now I am not ready.