Friday, January 20, 2006

Thoughts about exercise


A fat stomach on me when I was a kid. Still have it!

I never liked to exercise. From as long as I can remember. I remember riding my bike when I was a kid just around the neighborhood but I always was thinking that I wanted to go home. It was never fun. I never felt safe, even though I lived in a very good neighborhood. I did ride my bike to school one time (it was over 5 miles one way), but I never did it again. Too much exertion and I had to get up too early.

In school I was never good at sports. In fifth grade I remember playing softball and my team lost. I was confronted by this mean boy who said "if you weren't so fat, we would have won!". Thus my aversion to any kind of competitive sports. At home, my brother and sister and I used to play badminton, but we didn't follow any rules. So there was all kinds of hitting the birdie out of bounds and hitting it so high up we couldn't even see it.

I hate exercise with a passion. I don't understand the people who say it makes them feel good. I just ache, sweat and feel terrible. The key is supposed to be finding something you like to do. Well I don't like anything! I don't like sports, I don't like swimming (in fact, I don't know how to swim) - even walking around the neighborhood doesn't appeal to me because I don't like having to see other people who are out walking themselves. It's not that I don't like them, it's my introverted self that feels uncomfortable.

So I have an elliptical in my bedroom, but I rarely use it because it is so boring! I would rather lie unmoving on the couch. I am hopeless!

No comments: