Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Things I Remember About Elementary School

I went to a little seven-room school. One room for each grade, a multipurpose room (for art classes, gymnastics, cafeteria, and for whatever!) and one room for the library/music room.

First grade - I remember when we had nap time, we all were supposed to put our heads on our desks and rest/sleep. I fell asleep one time, and when I woke was held up as a positive example for doing what I was supposed to do (apparently not much sleep went on during these "nap times"). I also remember coveting a particular toy and wishing I could take it home.

Second grade - I was such a good speller and reader I got to go to the first grade room and read a story. I read "Curious George flies a kite" (I still have that book). I also got in trouble in second grade numerous times. Once for making fun of a girl, who was very pretty, for falling behind in our readers (I boasted out loud that I was better). The teacher yelled at me and I felt angry that the "pretty girl" bested me that way. I also, when frantic about catching the bus, got in trouble for pulling my coat out from under a girl and flipping her on her butt. I didn't like her anyway.

Third grade - I remember Mrs. Odie. I adored her. One time she scolded me for something and I was crushed. I don't remember what it was that I did.

Fourth grade - I remember the girls being ushered into another room for a "special" filmstrip (about becoming a "woman"). The boys were jealous and wanted to go too ("why do they get to watch a movie and not us?"). I remember wishing I could go out on the playground with them instead of having to watch the filmstrip.

Fifth grade - I just loved Mr. Gorbutt. I think he still teaches to this day (he was my teacher in 1977). I learned a lot from him. He was really funny and smart. There are too many things I remember about this grade to mention here. It would have to be another post. It was about this time that life got more complicated: in the coming year I would lose a friend (killed by a drunk driver after he hit her with his car while she was on her bike), I would lose lots of friends who decided that I wasn't worth knowing anymore (once we got into junior high and mingled with new kids from other elementary schools), and other hardships (or so they seemed when I was a child). It was when I learned to hate school because of the mean kids in it.

Other things about elementary school: 1) Miss Paris, the hippie music teacher. One song I remember singing was "Song Sung Blue" (by Neil Diamond). 2) In fifth grade, we made up a restaurant called "Kountry Kitchen" and made menus and invited parents to it (in our multipurpose room!). I was in charge of making sausage in the skillet and I was afraid of it because it was hot. 3) the tornado drills - we had to go to the "library/music room" and crouch underneath gymnastic mats together. One time we actually did it for real, but no tornado came. 4) In gym class, I was afraid to do a forward-roll. I practiced at home, and when I finally did it, I just wanted to keep doing them! It was fun. 5) My gym teacher Mr. Bouchard used to play the Bee Gees during our gym class. I didn't like him. Not because of that, though. 6) During recess, I would sit on the sidewalk leaning against the wall of the school, and I would crochet chains, practicing what my grandmother taught me. 7) Our field days! There would be games and races and prizes (I liked the cakewalk); one time during one of those things I got my thumb shut in a window and it really hurt. 8) Playing with my friend Joanna, who I would later attend school with all the way to graduation, but we were never close like we were in elementary school. We would pretend we were horses. My horse name was Fran. One time we were so engrossed in playing we didn't hear the recess bell and were late getting back to class. Joanna liked doritos a lot (especially the salty ones!). Joanna later died when she was 31 of breast cancer. I still think of her often.

I am sure no one is interested in my memories, but I just wanted to get them down on "paper" (or in this case, cyberspace).

1 comment:

Cee said...

Your elementary school sounds a lot like my middle/high school. Except the teachers weren't as cool. And we didn't have to watch the special filmstrip. Thank G-d for that. :)